My 6th grade Tech Lab students are currently working through The Hour of Code followed by the 20 hour Intro to Computer Science course on the Code.org web site.
Why introduce 6th graders to computer coding?
- It helps kids learn in meaningful context.
- It teaches them that learning is a process and not a product.
- It teaches them how to take complex ideas and break them down into simpler parts.
- It teaches them how to collaborate with others.
- It also teaches them how to keep persistent and persevere in the face of frustration when things are not working well.
- It teaches determination and risk-taking.
- It helps them become fluent with technologies and enable them to open open up and express their ideas.
- It helps them be creative.
- It helps them interact with the world around them.
- Computer coding teaches problem solving skills.
- By the year 2020, there will be 1,000,000 more jobs than students in the computer science field.
- Computer science is a top-paying college degree and computer programming jobs are growing at 2x the national average.
- Less than 2.4% of college students graduate with a degree in computer science and the numbers have dropped since the last decade.
- Exposure to computer science leads to some of the best-paying jobs in the world.
- 9 out of 10 schools don’t offer computer programming classes.
- In 26 of 50 states, computer science can’t even count towards high school graduation math or science requirements.